Saturday, January 2, 2016

It WORKS!

WOW!!   It works.  This is a photo of a sample of using the soy wax resist and ice dyeing.  Even though it is only about 1/4 yard of fabric I learned a lot.

1.  I put the wax on and then did the soda ash soak.  (One instruction said do the soda ash first.  It didn't seem to matter.)
2.  Little stamps don't work as well as bigger simple shapes.  The round shapes are a cookie cutter.
3.  I started putting on the dye powder before the ice.  Then I remembered to put the ice on first then dye powder, but it still worked.
4.  The soy wax washed out when I rinsed first in warm then in HOT and then poured boiling water over the fabric in a bucket, stirred with a stick, and when it cooled swished and rinsed again.   (If it had been more fabric I would have washed it in the washing machine with Synthrapol and HOT water to finish it. After doing the above rinsing.

I think this process is going to work.  I have some silk under the ice at the moment.  It was on a couple of pre-dyed scarves.  I'll check it in a few hours and see how it came out, and post the results.
Now I am thinking of several other possibilities to try, just need lots more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment