Friday, October 11, 2013

Silk Screen Breakdown is Coming

 These are the finished quilts I did from the Photoshop Elements Class.  I am going to develop the succulents into a series of quilts using different methods of coloring the image.  This one is applique.  The upper right hand area is the photo printed onto cotton and used as an applique.  I have one painted in silk dye, planning to paint one in thickened Procion dye and perhaps one using fabric paint.

 I always loved the photo and now I love the quilt.  How to quilt it was one of the problems that needed solving.  I hope it is a suitable solution.

We will be moving onto working with thickened dye.  These are examples of "Breakdown Printing"  I like to do this technique because of the serendipity.  You don't know what you will get as you print and the dried dye melts.  The bottom row has a stencil printed over the breakdown.  Something to explore?

Bring your blank silk screen or supplies to make one.
4 stretcher bars
nylon or poly organza
staple gun (I have one if you don't)
Duct Tape (I have 2 big rolls)

We will paint the screens with thickened dye and let them dry for 1 week.

The next week we will print our screens.    Are you going to do cotton or silk?

No comments:

Post a Comment