Friday, October 4, 2013

Moving along

We started class with "Parfait Dyeing"  but something was wrong with the dye.  It washed out except for blue which is usually the one that is fugitive.  I have done some research and I think I have an idea of what the problem might have been.  
Usually I mix the dyes for class the day before,  because of the baby arriving I mixed the dyes about 10 days before class.  According to some of the research I did Procion MX dyes, once mixed, only last about 5 to 6 days at full strength.  They are also sensitive to heat and they had been sitting in my garage during a very HOT spell.  I apologize for the screw up.  I will be mixing dye on Tuesday for our class on Wednesday.  I suggest that you "Parfait" again if you were doing cotton.  The Silk dyes seemed to be ok.

 I will be demonstrating some shibori folds, a free-form dyeing method we call "Splish-Splash" and gutta resist silk painting.  If any of those appeal to you move forward with them.  If you had light results with the cotton of the first day either over-dye or save it and print or paint over the top of what you have later.
This is Kate holding her new sister, Aly Jane Westbrook.  There is lots of holding required and everyone wants a turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment