Friday, February 20, 2015

Continued Painting

 This is the finished silk painting I started in the Workshop I had gone to a couple of weeks ago in San Diego.  I added the sea shells and coral into a space that needed just a little something to make it sing.
 This is a detail of one of the corners.
 This is the demo of using thickened dye (Sodium alginate and Seta Silk) to paint directly on the silk without gutta lines.

Details of the birds and leaves.  When I washed the fabric it got a little lighter because unlike the dye which will penetrate, the paint that was on top of the sodium alginate thickener washed away.  It is still nice, but I should have thought that through.  The line work did not penetrate the dry sodium alginate and so most of it washed away;  however I went back with the fabric pens and put the lines back again.  I will think through the steps next time.  Now I know.

If you are planning to take the next group of classes they start Wednesday March 4 at 10 am
Bring 2 yard of PFD or pre washed white cotton, scissors, and a couple large jars or plastic containers with  lids to do parfait dying in.   I will only bring Procion for cotton.  I have some hand woven cotton scarves coming that will be fun to dye also.

1 comment:

  1. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. dental impression material

    ReplyDelete