Tuesday, December 2, 2014

While on Break


While we have been on break from class I have been trying to catch up on a few things, finish some things and of course, make some new things.

 I found a box of eyeglass size purse closures, so while the rain poured outside I went into my studio and painted some silk to make eyeglass cases.  After painting I did a bit of quilting on them with nice puffy wool batting and then lined them in black flannel.  (I was surprised to find black cotton flannel in my stash. I have no idea what I had used it for before.  They will make cute and easy small gifts.
 I also did a bunch of dishtowels with the Seta Silk paint.  Because it is paint it works with silk or cotton.  The only trick is making sure the gutta goes all the way through the heavier cotton fabric.
If it stops raining I want to go to Smart and Final and get another package of towels.  This paint is so much fun.  and I'm sure I can come up with better designs than these.  Oh well, they are just to dry the dishes so they should be okay.
 I also have done a little bit of watercolor painting.  I had a bunch of practice paintings that were not so great so rather than just throw them out I painted over them with gesso on the 140# paper it makes a great surface to use with acrylic or water color.  It is very interesting how the water color works on the gesso.  It is kind of slippery and you have to use a light touch with it.  Very interesting, but a fun challenge.
This is regular water color on the 140# paper.  I'm happy with how this turned out.  I will not be putting gesso over it.  I had fun with the colors.
I am looking forward to our next class and have plans to implement for it.  I better get with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment