Sunday, October 19, 2014

Color Blending


You have chosen your colors, now it is time to put them onto your design.


Blending with water is the easiest way to make nice smooth transitions.  In class I will demonstrate.

 You can see the wet into wet blending on these two orchids.  It gives a soft and smooth transition.
On the leaves you want to indicate the veins so after the area is dry you can put in the veins and they will not spread.

 I wanted a few of the orchid spots more defined so after the petals were dry I added blotches of color and they stayed put giving more defined markings to the petals.
 On these next two examples each petal with the highlights were wet first  with clear water and then painted to give the highlights.  the Petals in the front were directly painted without water and then wet paint into wet paint for shading.
 If you are painting white flowers use the water technique, but only paint the shadows.  Then you have to have a darker outside to make the white stand out.
There will be demonstrations in class so bring your practice silk plus the "precious" painting you will be working on.  The previous post is about Color Selection check it out. Next week we will be using texture, and working on backgrounds.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    I'm a former student of yours, Susan Birkeland. I seem to have misplaced my copy of the six square pattern, and was wondering if you currently carry copies of it at your Wednesday classes? If you don't, would you be able to email it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know what works best for you! My email is: ericb08@verizon.net (<- I share my husband's email) Thank you so much in advance!

    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it somewhere in my files. I'll look for it, but I will need your snail mail address to send it.

    ReplyDelete