Monday, May 28, 2012

What I learned

 Last weekend I went to a WAC workshop with Linda Schmidt.  Among the many embellishment techniques she taught was painting on fusible web then fusing it to your fabric and layering with foil.
I had some microwave dyed silk charmuse the was boring so I used this technique on it and did the shiny silvery leaves.  I used "Wonder Under" painted it with some pearlized Jacquard fabric paint.  I found that I needed to peel the web off of the backing and fuse it to the fabric with the unpainted side on the fabric and a sheet of parchment paper over the web.  Perfect results!  Then I placed the foil on top and ironed again with parchment paper covering the work.  After it was done I went further.
I did another technique Linda taught; which I already knew, but had not used in quite this way, of stitching scraps together encased in two layers of Sulky Solvy.  I cut small confetti scraps and included a few bits of the painted web that was left over from the leaves and with a layer of Solvy on the bottom and another on the top I ironed them together, put it in a hoop and free motion stitched with metallic thread in the needle and matching color rayon in the bobbin.  THen I cut out the leaves and put them in warm water and washed away the Solvy.  THe 3-D leaves were then stitched to the garment.  I also added some silver gutta line work.

I will bring this to class on Wednesday and show you the steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment